Jacky Liew (Si Gongzi)
Jacky Liew (Chinese: 廖城兰) was born in Malaysia. He was better known by his pen name Si Gongzi or Food Master (Chinese: 食公子) and was a Food Critic since the 1988 who was the first person to be known as a food gourmet in Malaysia. He is also a food writer and possesses the title of “Food God”. In 2008, he rewarded and recognized by P.M.C Social Service Excellence Award from the 10th Yang di-Pertuan Agong (King) of Malaysia due to his excellent contribution to society. It is the great honour for him who trusted by the Yamtuan (the King) to make a descriptive record of the royal and been the first Chinese writer who called into the Palace. He was also the recipient of the World Food Gourmet Badges under the appearance of the 11th Yamtuan Besar (Grand Ruler) of the Negeri Sembilan. Furthermore, he was ranked among star chefs of Malaysia, Singapore, Taiwan in 2014 and included in “Who’s who compilation among 100 years” in 2012. His children were all educated to be in the legal profession and involved in educational areas as an assistant professor in University.
Awards and Careers
- In 2002, he became the Lecturer of Today Agriculture College and advisor of the college magazine.
- In 2006, he was invited to become the National Business Coordinator in Nanyang Press.
- In 2007, he was involved in political commentary who met with 119 politicians from the nations and abroad.
- In 2008, he was rewarded P.M.C Social Service Excellence Award from the 10th Yang di-Pertuan Agong Tuanku Ja’afar and was trusted by Yamtuan to make descriptive record of the royal and he was also the recipient of the World Food Gourmet Badges under the appearance of 11th Yamtuan Besar.
- In 2011, he received the Excellent Paper Award in China International Symposium
- In 2012, he was included in “Who’s who compilation among 100 years”.
- In 2013, he was entered into the area of big data of science, applied Internet technology to redefine the Malaysia Food Evaluation Standards.
- In 2014, he was ranked among star chefs of Malaysia, Singapore and Taiwan.
- In 2017, Jacky as a writer classified into the representative of educational, culture and social science in educational fairs.
- In 2018, Jacky was the research object in the master thesis of University Abdul Rahman Food Review and Its Implication on Malaysia Chinese Food Consumption by Wan Mee San.
He was the first person who leads the food critics and recommendation into the commercial field, and always engage in food promotion and tourism in Malaysia, retain the recipes of restaurants and researches for the Malaysia hundred’s year of food culture, makes huge contributions to Malaysia food. He also been the jury in International Culinary Competition, the jury for beauty pageant competition and obtain various awards. Any famous restaurant must consist of Jacky Liew’s photo as the directional for the public and such photos were over thousands. The place where he goes including tourism spots will hang the banner to welcome Jacky Liew.
As a scholar to Malaysia Food History, his literary work in 2010 “Truly Nyonya Malacca was selected and become part of collection of the Library of Congress in Washington, DC, the National Library of Singapore, the National Library of Malaysia, the Library of University Technical Malaysia (UTeM) and Ngee Ann Polytechnic in Singapore. He also the first person who introduced the concept of Malaysian food was belongs to the “Malay Archipelago Cuisine influences by Nanyang area” and he divides Malaysian food into 3 social classes which are 1. King and Noble Cuisines, 2. National Heritage Food; 3. Cuisines of 5 main races based on geography, languages family and so on, that is 1. Malay; 2. Chinese; 3. North and South Indian, Mamak, Indian Muslim; 4. Nyonya and Chitty; 5 Aborigines in Peninsular Malaysia and indigenous of Sabah and Sarawak and another 2 special classes which are Eurasian Portugis and Siam Muslim in North Malaysia.
Today Agriculture Institute Lecturer and Advisor of Institute Magazine and Product
Pingat Khidmat Cemerlang Masyarakat (P.M.C)
|Other names||Sigongzi, Food Master|
|Titles||Food Critic Malaysia, World Food Gourmet, Food God|
|Occupational||Food critic, Writer, Director, Intelligence Data Technology Field|
|Years Active||Since 1988 until now|
|Known for||Food critic in Malaysia|
|Notable Work||Truly Nuonya Malacca|
|Research Areas||Malaysia Hundred's year of food culture, Intelligence Data Technology|
|Styles||Restaurants Critics; Retain Recipes; Origins of Food; Nyonya Culture; Promote Malaysia cuisines|
From1988 until now, Jacky Liew has committed to introducing Malaysian Food and played an active role in promoting the food culture to all around the world. The followings were the column written by Jacky Liew which consists of Malaysia, China, Singapore in Chinese or English and involved in numerous fields.
|Column of Jacky Liew in Magazines and Newspapers|
|Food World (Chinese: 风味）||Flavoured Food(Chinese: 风味劲食）||1996-2000||–|
|Apple (Chinese: 苹果)||Diet (Chinese:饮食男女)||1996-2000||–|
|Traveller’s Digest of Malaysia (Chinese: 旅行家)||Steps on World (Chinese: 脚踏实地)||1996-2000||–|
|Feminine (Chinese: 风采)||Where to Eat (Chinese:美食特区)||2000-2007||0128-911X|
|Dine With Vip (Chinese: 名人饭桌)||2008-2014||0128-911X|
|Oriental Cuisine (Chinese: 美味风采||Secret Recipes (Chinese: 名菜秘诀大公开)||2000-2014||1675-8048|
|Bahasa Inggeris: Long Life (Chinese: 大家健康)||Food and Nutrition (Chinese: 营养天地)||2000||0128-9120|
|Rod and Line (Chinese: 钓鱼月刊)||Jacky in Famous Restaurant (Chinese: 食公子食在名店)||2011-2014||0128-9179|
|Agrolife (Chinese: 农牧生活)||Agrolife Column (Chinese: 农牧生活专栏)||1999-2000||1394-932X|
|The One Weekly (Chinese: 一本周刊)||–||2000||–|
|Beauty Love (Chinese: 最爱美容)||–||1999||1394-5424|
|Today Agriculture (Chinese: 今日农业)||–||1999||–|
|Famous Cuisine (Chinese: 名食谱)||The Life of Food (Chinese: 饮食人生)||2011-2014||–|
|Housing and Building (Chinese: 房屋与建筑)||–||1997||1394-813x|
|Entrepreneur (Chinese:企业家)||Eat and Live (Chinese: 食公子好吃好住)||2015||1824-0318|
|Corporate Journey (Chinese: 创业家)||Delicious Time (Chinese: 名厨有食神)||2012||1823-2736|
|Min Sheng Bao (Chinese: 民生报||Delicious (Chinese:食在好吃)||2014||–|
|Powerful News (Chinese: 劲报)||Powerful Food (Chinese: 劲爆美食)||2013||–|
|Singapore Xin Flavours (Chinese:新之味)||Malaysia Cuisine (Chinese: 大马寻味)||2011||2010-2518|
|China Chinese Herbal Magazine||–||2010||–|
Dine with VIP
In 2007, Jacky Liew suddenly changed his writing styles and add on the elements of politics and derives into the famous “Dine with VIP” with 119 politicians and celebrities in Malaysia and abroad.
|The Politicians or VIP in Malaysia and Abroad that Dine with Jacky Liew from 2007-2014 in Feminine Magazine “Dining with Vip”|
|Issue||Politicians and Famous||Positions|
|481||Hoo Seong Chang||Senator|
|483||Dato Yu Chok Tow||Exco Negeri Sembilan|
|484||Datuk Lim Si Cheng||Deputy Speaker Of House|
|485||Lawyer Long Hoo Hin||Exco Johor|
|488||Dato’ Sri Dr. Hou Kok Chung||Deputy Minister Of Higher Education|
|490||Datuk Seri Ir Dr Wee Ka Siong||Minister Of Transport|
|491||Dato Wee Jeck Seng||Deputy Minister Of Plantation Industries And Commodities I|
|493||DYMM Tuanku Jaafar Ibni Almarhum Tuanku Abdul Rahman||Tenth Yang Di-Pertuan Agong Of Malaysia|
|494||Teng Boon Soon||Deputy Minster Of Unity ,Culture,Art & Heritage|
|496||Datuk Seri Ong Tee Keat||Minister Of Transport|
|497||Dato Chor Chee Heung JP||Minister Of Housing And Local Government|
|498||Dato Tan Lian Hoe||Deputy Minister Of Information|
|499||Datuk Robert Lau Hoi Chew||Deputy Minister Of Housing And Local Government|
|500||Dato Sri Liow Tiong Lai||Minister Of Transport|
|501||Datin Paduka Chew Mei Fun||Member Of Parliament For Petaling Jaya|
|502||YB Datuk. Liew Vui Keong||Minister In The Prime Minister’s Department|
|503||Tan Sri Dato’ Ir. Wong Foon Meng||Deputy President Of The Senate|
|505||Dato Seri Tiong King Sing JP||BN Chairman Backbenchers Club|
|506||Dato Chang Ko Youn||Gerakan National Adviser|
|507||Datuk Seri Peter Chin Fah Kui||Minister Of Plantation Industries & Commodities|
|508||Dato Lee Chee Leong||Deputy Minster Of Finance|
|509||Datuk Seet Har Cheow||Exco & Chairman Of Melaka State Tourism, Cultural And Heritage Committee|
|511||Dato Yong Khoon Seng||Deputy Minister Of Works|
|512||Datuk Seri Michael Chong JP||Head Of Public Services And Complaints Department|
|514||Tan Sri Datuk Tee Hock Seng JP||Malaysian Senate|
|515||Dato Gan Tian Loo||Exco Melaka|
|516||Diplomat Victor C.Y.Tseng||Taipei Economic And Cultural Office In Finland|
|518||Siow Chen Pin||State Exco And Assemblyman Chennah|
|519||Dato Raymond Tan Shu Kiah||Sabah Deputy Chief Minister ,Minister Industrial Development Sabah|
|521||Lai Meng Chong||Adun Melaka|
|522||Datuk Seri Donald Lim||Deputy Minister Of Tourism|
|524||Dr Boo Cheng Hau||Adun Skudai|
|525||Tan Ah Eng||Member Parliament Gelang Patah|
|526||Wong Chui Ling||Dj Artist|
|528||Datuk Ng See Tiong Jp||Adun Parit Yaani|
|529||Anthony Loke Siew Fook||Minister Of Transport|
|530||Dato Chua Tee Yong||Deputy Minister Of Housing And Local Government|
|531||Ng Wei Aik||Deputy Minster Of Agriculture & Agro Based Industry|
|532||Chua Cheng Hwa||Adun Bemban|
|533||Mok Chek Hou||Adun Stulang Laut|
|534||Lim Kee Moi||Adun Yong Peng|
|536||Datuk Koh Chee Chai||Adun Penggaram|
|537||Datuk Tee Siew Kiong||Menteri Besar Johor Advisor|
|538||Ean Yong Han Hua||Exco Of Selangor|
|539||Chua Tian Chang||Member Of Parliament Batu|
|540||YB Dato Teng Chang Khim||Speaker Of The House Cum Exco Selangor|
|541||Tony Pua Kiam Wee||Member Of Parliament For Petaling Jaya Utara|
|542||Lo Yu Chung||Taipei Economic And Cultural Officer|
|543||Xue Yu Heng||Division Chief General Administration Of Sport Of China|
|544||Liang Cheng||Director Of The Institute Of Traditional Chinese Medicine|
|545||Datuk Dr Lee Hong Tee||Adun Jementah|
|546||Ong Kow Meng||Adun Senai|
|547||Jenice Lee Ying Ha||Adun Teratai|
|548||Elizabeth Wong||Selangor Exco|
|549||Ean Yong Ding Qing||Adun Lukut|
|550||Gan Pei Nei||Adun Rawang|
|551||Hannah Yeoh Tseow Suan||Deputy Minister Of Women,Family And Community Development|
|552||YB Tan Cher Puk||Adun Johor Jaya|
|553||Teo Nie Ching||Deputy Minister Of Education|
|554||Chia Song Cheng||Adun Pengkalan Rinting|
|555||Dato Liang Teck Meng||Member Of Parliment Simpang Renggam|
|556||Wong Nai Chee||Prime Minister’S Political Secretary|
|557||Cheong Chin Liang||Adun Bukit Batu|
|558||Dato Lai Meng||Actress|
|559||Goh Tee Tee||Adun Tangkak|
|560||Peggy Chou||Director Information Division Taipei Economic And Cultural Office|
|561||Teng Chang Yeow||Penang Barisan National Chief|
|562-563||Lau Chin Hoon||Adun Pemanis|
|564||Tan Kok Hong||Exco Johor|
|565||Khoo Soo Seang||Member Of Parliament Tebrau|
|566||Tang Nai Soon||Adun Pekan Nenas|
|567||Ng Suee Lim||Selangor State Legislative Assembly Speaker|
|568||Nga Kor Ming||Deputy Speaker Of The Parliament|
|569||Ngeh Koo Ham||Speaker Of The Perak Sate Legislative Assembly|
|570||Dato Wee Jeck Seng||Deputy Minister Of Plantation Industries And Commodities I|
|571||Sim Tze Tzin||Deputy Minster Of Agriculture & Agro Based Industry|
|572||Chang Lih Kang||Member Of Parliament Tanjong Malim|
|573||Dr Lee Boon Chye||Deputy Minister Of Health|
|574||Thomas Su Keong Siong||Member Of Parliament Kampar|
|575||William Leong Jee Keen||Member Of Parliament Selayang|
|576||Teo Kok Seong||Adun Bahau|
|577||Fong Kui Lun||Member Of Parliament Bukit Bintang|
|578||Dr Tan Seng Giaw||Member of the Malaysian Parliament for Kepong, Kuala Lumpur|
|579||Goh Leong San||Adun Ruyong|
|580||Datuk Tee Siew Kiong||Menteri Besar Johor Advisor|
|582||Tan Kok Wai||Mp For Cheras，Special Envoy Of Malaysia To People’S Republic Of China|
|583||Andrew Chen Kah Eng||Adun Stulang|
|584||Gan Peck Cheng||Adun Batu Pahat|
|585||Jimmy Puah Wee Tse||Johor International Trade,Investment & Utility Committee Chairman|
|586||Chua Wee Beng||Adun Bentayan|
|587||Er Teck Hwa||Member of Parliament Bakri|
|588||Jimmy Puah Wee Tse||Johor International Trade,Investment & Utility Committee Chairman|
|590||Cheo Yee How||Adun Pengkalan Rinting|
|591||Chew Peck Choo||Adun Yong Peng|
|592||Lim Eng Guan||Adun Bekok|
|594||Liow Cai Tong||Exco Johor|
|596||Dr Boo Cheng Hau||Adun Skudai|
|597||Jimmy Puah Wee Tse||Johor International Trade,Investment & Utility Committee Chairman|
|598||Tan Wei Lee||Jabatan Penerangan Malaysia|
|599||Tai Qing Hua||Johor State Educational Inspector|
|600||Beh Eng Lai||ACP Head Of Melaka Community Crime And Safety Prevention|
|–||Leong Cheok Keng||Adun Malim Nawar|
- Food Digest (2010-01-01). “The Food Critics Master”. Food Digest. Jil. 3. ISSN 2180-3013. Diarkib daripada yang asal pada 2010-01-01. Dicapai pada 2020-06-24.
- Pertanian Masa Kini (2002-02-02). “Pensyarah Pertanian Masa Kini”. Pertanian Masa Kini. Jil. 157. Diarkib daripada yang asal pada 2002-02-02. Dicapai pada 2020-06-24.
- “Jacky Liew ditugaskan sebagai Nanyang Siang Pau Penyelaras Perniagaan Malaysia”. Nanyang Siang Pau. 2008-10-26. Diarkib daripada yang asal pada 2008-10-26. Dicapai pada 2020-06-24.
- Jacky Liew (2011-05-01). “Malaysia merupakan negara pilihan pelancongan yang terbaik”. Feminine. Malaysia: Feminine. ISSN 0128-911X. Diarkib daripada yang asal pada 2011-05-01. Dicapai pada 2020-06-11.
- Jacky Liew (2009-11-20). “Setiap orang harus mempunyai hati yang patriotik Diplomat Victor CY Tseng”. Feminine. No. 516. Malaysia: Feminine. halaman 188–189. Diarkib daripada yang asal pada 2009-11-20. Dicapai pada 2020-06-11.
- Jacky Liew (2010-01-20). “Hati setia menang hati orang, meja makan selebriti Dato’ Raymond Tan Shu Kiah, Timbalan ketua menteri dan Menteri Pembangunan Industri Sabah”. Feminine. Malaysia: Feminine. halaman 174–175. ISSN 0128-911X. Diarkib daripada yang asal pada 2010-01-20. Dicapai pada 2020-06-11.
- Jacky Liew (2008-08-10). “Yang Di Pertuan Negeri Sembilan, Mulakan hari baru dengan semangkuk bubur”. Feminine (ed. 493). Malaysia: Life Publisher. halaman F2–F3. ISSN 0128-911X. Diarkib daripada yang asal pada 2008-08-10. Dicapai pada 2020-06-11.
- “World Food Gourmet”. SingChew Daily. 2017-09-06. Dicapai pada 2020-06-08.
- “Senarai Anugerah Kecermelangan Tesis Simposium Antarabangsa China”. Chinese Herbal Cooking(30). 2011-06-06. Diarkib daripada yang asal pada 2011-06-06. Dicapai pada 2020-06-09.
- Pemenang Simposium Kesihatan Antarabangsa, China. Malaysia: Feminine. 2011-06-10. Diarkib daripada yang asal pada 2011-06-10. Dicapai pada 2020-06-11.
- 黄福安 (penyunting). 居銮百年献礼-华社名人录 Buku panduan telefon masyarakat Cina & pertubuhan-pertubuhan Kluang 2012. Penerbitan Luan Yew. m/s. 90. ISBN 978-967-11653-0-0. Diarkib daripada yang asal pada 2009-10-02. Dicapai pada 2020-06-11.
- The Shore (2014). Rasa popular: 365 masakan rumah koki terkenal (dalam bahasa Chinese). POPULAR Holdings Limited. ISBN 9674141642. Diarkib daripada yang asal pada 2020-06-24.
- Wan Mee San (2018-01-01). “Refleksi kepada Artikel Mengkritik Makanan Malaysia dan Lain-lain 马来西亚华文饮食杂述的评析与反思” (PDF). Tesis Master Universiti Tunku Abdul Rahman (dalam bahasa Chinese). Dicapai pada 2020-06-05.
- “Rod and Line”. Rod and Line (dalam bahasa Cina). Life Publisher. 2011-01-01. Dicapai pada 2020-06-08.